Thursday, April 15, 2010

Homemade Apple Butter

Mmm..this is so good! I made a batch yesterday. It takes a little longer to cook than I'm used to but to me it was worth it. I'll post the recipe as I found it, but I added more spices to suit my own tastes. Next time I'm going to try it with one of the flavored unsweetened applesauces like maybe peach or pear. I had some on a bagel but I'm thinking it would be really good on some egg white french toast.

I was able to get 20 tbsps from my batch but this will probably vary depending on how thick you like your apple butter. I'll post the macros for the entire batch and then it can be divided by the number of tbsp you get.

Homemade Apple Butter

1 (14-oz) can unsweetened applesauce

1/4 cup (2-oz) apple juice - I used juice boxes (Eden's Harvest) so I wouldn't have to buy a large bottle of apple juice

1/4 c. Splenda

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 40-50 minutes or until thick and smooth, stirring occasionally.

After cooling, refrigerate in a closed container for up to 3 weeks.

Total calories: 198

Total carbs: 52

No comments:

Post a Comment