Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I took a long vacation from my job and from life in general a few days ago. For the most part it was fantastic, had a few bumps along the way, but things happen for whatever reason I guess. I celebrated my 40th birthday while I was out, visited family and friends and most of all took a nice long mental break to just relax, regroup, get organized and just think about things. I took a lot of time to reflect on who I am as person, where I've been and most importantly where I'm heading. In the process I was forced to re-evalute long standing friendships and the people I have/had in my life. It was and continues to be quite eye opening to say the least. I'm not sure what the lesson learned in all of this is, but I have no doubt it will reveal itself to me at some point. The important thing with all obstacles, mistakes, failures, etc. is to not be bitter but use it as a learning experience and move on. One thing that I will need to readjust is my diet and training. Unfortunately in this latest transition process, I lost a person who was both one of my closest friends as well as my trainer. Well, let me rephrase, I will need to believe in myself and adjust my accountability and make myself accountable to me vs. someone else. Personal accountability is definitely the key because regardless of who tells you or acts as if they believe in you and want you to succeed, you have to believe it yourself in order for it to work. Situations and people may change, but if you have a strong foundational belief in yourself (which continues to be a work in progress with me) changes will not shake you, rattle you or move you away from your goal.

I have been very fortunate in the past work with people/trainers who were and continue to be very knowledgeable in the fitness and nutrition arena. I have so many great plans that have worked in the past and since we as a society are moving to a "greener" world, why not use this knowledge to invest and improve upon myself? What's the slogan...."reduce, recycle, reuse" So many times we do not invest in and/or take advantage of the human capital and the resources that surround us. What I need to do more of is to expand my circle in the training and nutrition area, ask more questions, become more knowledgeable, and most importantly, take a more active role in my success instead of relying upon others to rally and cheer me on. Sometimes it's important in life to be your own cheerleader. Rah, rah, rah!!!

1 comment: